We just returned from three weeks in Idaho. Two with Jon there and then the last with just the kids and I. (more of this when I feel like downloading pics.) We decided to fly this time which was all fine and dandy on the way there. Unfortunately like I mentioned, Jon had left a week prior, so that left me to make the travels home with just myself and the kids. Since we flew in and out of Salt Lake City, my parents were kind enough to drive us down the night before and stay in a hotel with us, then help me to the airport the next morning. Unfortunately the kids slept terribly. Brynlee kept waking up with nightmares, and Noah woke up several times as well. I had a head cold and couldn't sleep much at all even when I had the chance. We woke up at 5:00 AM and got everyone ready, and packed. We headed down for breakfast, and the hotel was slow getting it out since it starts at 6. We only got yogurt and some fruit for breakfast. We rode the shuttle to the airport and my Mom and Dad came along to help out. And it was such a huge help. I was wondering how I was going to carry all those bags, and watch the kids etc. That all went just fine except for Brynlee crying that she missed Grandma and Grandpa all the way to our gate. :( Our flight boarded on time and luckily I was next to a nice gentlemen who was understanding of the kids. He was in the air force, and also understanding of me getting sick and puking my guts out! Yuck I know! Even though we had boarded on time taking off took a little longer than planned. We landed in Dallas at 12:30pm and our second flight had already started boarding. We rushed as fast as we could. We had to ride the tram to a different terminal and when we finally got there, it was 12:57, which was the planes departure time. Sure enough we had missed our flight. I asked what they could do, and the guy wasn't very helpful at all. He said he was going to have to send me though Chicago and then to DM putting me home at 10pm. No way! So I headed off to another counter to try and find a more helpful person. She had some not so good news either. All DM flights were full. But, she was willing to get me standby tickets for the next flight leaving at 2:40. YES!! I was hopeful we would get on that flight. And we would only get home 2 hours later than planned. We got some lunch, and headed to our gate. Within the next hour, a terrible storm rolled in and grounded all planes! I know, unbelievable. so you guessed it, that flight was delayed. We waited, and waited, and the kids had several breakdown, but they kept it together pretty good for the most part. The hardest part was we couldn't leave the gate, because they could decide to load at any time, and if we weren't there, we wouldn't get on, since we were standby. We sat there for almost 4 hours. Finally the storm started to lift. They boarded the plane, and yes, we were able to get on. FINALLY! We got into Des Moines around 7pm. I don't think I have ever been happier to be in Des Moines! Thankfully we had a good friend there waiting to give us a ride home! 14 hours of traveling, is just too much for a pregnant, tired, sick, mommy of two.
Yes, I did say pregnant for those of you who don't know! Baby due April 20th.
7 comments:
I honestly don't know how you did it with 2 kids! We've only flown with our kids once earlier this year and it was hard, and I even had Marshall there with me. I bet you are glad to have that behind you!
Congrats on baby #3!
Oh, I'm so sorry. Traveling with kids is hard enough when everything goes perfectly. Congratulations on the pregnancy!! That is so exciting. And at least you had a great 3 weeks in Idaho (at least I'm assuming you did).
Congrats on the baby!! Sorry about the travels! I couldn't even begin to imagine flying with two kids you are BRAVE!!!!
!!!!!!!! Woo-hoo for babies! I'm sorry your flight was so bad- I had one that sounded just like that (when it was just me and the girls) Hope thigns are going well. You still ok with book club tomorrow? Give me a call! welcome home and congrats!
Congratulations! On the pregnancy, not the horrible travel day! Traveling with kids is no fun.
I feel your pain...I ran through the Denver airport last Decebmer with all three of my kids...thankfuly we made the connection. We did however manage to get on the wrong plan at one point. Let's just say, I completely understand how you felt. Congrats on baby number 3 on the way, this trip will seem like nothing after you travel alone with 3!
My mom told me you were pregnant- congrats! I'm glad that you finally made it home- sorry about the airport not so fun stuff.
Post a Comment